With its millennial history, scenic natural surroundings and rich entertainment, the town of Hvar is a unique combination of cultural and historical heritage, natural beauty and modern tourism. Be sure to visit some of the attractions of Hvar while in ACI marina Palmižana
Hvar theatre and Arsenal
One of the most important attractions of Hvar is definitely the old theatre. Founded back in 1612 during the reign of Prince Pietro Semitecolo, it was the first theater in Europe. Today’s neo-Baroque appearance dates from the 19th century when auditorium with boxes was built and frescoes painted on walls, which are sill preserved today. The restored fresco in the Duke’s Palace was made in 1900. Today the theatre is open for public use, and it is also a contemporary art gallery.At the entrance to the theatre there is a wooden figure from the bow of St. Jerolim galley from the 16th century, when the famous battle against the Turkish fleet took place. The theatre, which was entered through the large terrace Belvedere, is located above the Arsenal, the naval supplies storage where galleys used to be repaired. The construction of this major public building of the time started during the Venetian rule and it was completed a few centuries later.
The town fortress Fortica, locally also called Španjola, offers a panoramic view of the town of Hvar and the surrounding area, as well as Pakleni islands. The construction of the fort began in the 13th century, as the island fell under the Venetian rule, and was replaced by a new one in the 16th century, which has been reconstructed a few more times since then. It served to shelter the population in the battles against the Turks, and the greatest damage it suffered was when a thunder struck directly into the gunpowder storage! The latest modifications we made to it during the construction of barracks in the late 18th century, at the time of Maria Theresa. Today, the fortress is home to a collection of exhibits from ancient Greece and Rome, mainly amphorae, and from the medieval times.
Cathedral of St. Stephen, Hvar town patron saint, is located on the eastern side of the central square or Pjaca, the largest square in Dalmatia, where in the past the sea used to reach all the way to where the cathedral stands today! The cathedral was built and rebuilt, acquiring its present form in the 16th and 17 century. Its Renaissance bell tower, constructed by local craftsmen, is considered one of the most beautiful in Dalmatia.
On the west side there is a late Renaissance trefoil front, the traditional symbol of the Holy Trinity, while altars and pulpits in the interior of the cathedral date from the Gothic and Baroque periods. In addition to the valuable architecture, the cathedral is home to preserved precious works of art, like a painting of Madonna from the 13th century. In the adjacent Bishop’s Palace the Bishop Museum was founded in middle of the last century, where you can see valuable ancient artefacts, books, liturgical vestments, sacred vessels, and archival documents.